Saturday, January 3, 2015

C.Memi + Neo Matisse

C.Memi might be known to you thanks to some other bloggers back in the day and their rips of her highly prized heavenly peace ep or her single with neo matisse 'no chocololate'. if you are like me, those are the only releases you had ever heard of. i had never really poked around looking for more, but those were the only things i had ever heard of or seen. until i happened to be browsing a webshop and saw Neo Matisse 1982 Koyasan (ネオマチス1982高野山) for sale. for 150 yen.  yeah.  you read that right.  considering heavenly peace fetches well more than $50 (there's one on discogs for $118 right now), i almost shit my pants. granted, its not an out of print vinyl. but its a cd release that no one has ever heard of from an almost non-existent new wave master. so yeah. i had to have it. and i got lucky. real lucky. and this is exactly what blogs are all about, right? uncovering the lost mysteries of the musical universe?! C.Memi's solo ep is dreamy and for the most part pretty quiet, and very much feels like a solo endeavor of the times. however, neo matisse is a full-on band. the production here is a little fuzzy and jumbled in my opinion, with the guitar pretty heavily laden in effects and her voice seemingly somewhat distorted for some reason. but regardless of the production qualities or choices in fx, i really have no reason to complain! this is 1982 new wave, after all. i should mention that i have NO IDEA what this recording is. was this originally a vinyl that has never seen the light of day on the web? is it a lost recording found and issued in 2003 for the first time? i dunno. maybe someone else can find out somehow. but the credits do say it was recorded in koyasan in 1982. now, i wouldn't say that this is a brilliant album necessarily, or 'essential listening' material. but my affection for things of this sort far exceed the normal person. in my opinion, the album is god damned fantastic, but i can see its shortcomings as well. i will say that track two, john is the god, makes me want to fuckin jump around and celebrate music as some kind of fucking diety. if i were in a cover band, this song would be in our set, even though no one would know what the fuck it was. and we would rock it. so hard. the middle of the album sees things slow down and the male vocals provided by toru saito take the front seat while c.memi doesn't sing at all. these tracks kind of remind me of early-ish salon music tracks. but fear not, c.memi jumps back in after a couple of these slower bits and the album closes with another dance-worthy number and an epic 8 minute new wave journey. so, feast on some uncovered gems. you are welcome. internet police be damned. people deserve to hear this shit.




C.Memi + Neo Matisse (2003.12.14) (album) Neo Matisse 1982 Koyasan [V0] {off-song 001}

6 comments:

  1. http://www.geocities.jp/radiodaze76/wwwn.htm
    If you scroll down a bit you'll find some information under NEO MATISSE. I think it says that C.Memi and Neo Matisse (C.Memi = Fukui Megumi; Neo Matisse = Saito Toru, Jun Iwasaki and Ishii) disbanded in 1982; I guess that's the reason why it took 21 years for this to be released.
    It also says that after Neo Matisse disbanded Saito Toru formed Auschwitz (they were one of those groovy post-punk groups; they also backed for Machida Machizo); then he joined Osamu Ishida's Voice & Rhythm in 1983 (whom I know practically nothing about besides him working with Char and Mari Kaneko –whom I only know slightly more about). It then says something about Toru, Michiro Endo and a band called Paranoia Star (パラノイアスター) in 1985. It doesn't say anything about the other members.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to state, although I did imply it, that this album definitely wasn't released until 2003.

      Delete
  2. thanks for the info sam. i didn't realize a neo matisse member was part of auschwitz! (the japanese music scene is such a web of players... i wish there was some definitive resource that captures it all!). i also wish i knew how to read japanese..... would make my life so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lel. I don't speak Japanese either, but from the amount of time it sometimes takes to decipher the code Google translator outputs, it might actually be easier to learn the language myself.
      Here's some more information (in moonrunes):
      http://ameblo.jp/sugarmountain/entry-11026709200.html
      I haven't bothered translating/readig it or anything, but it has a nice picture of Megumi in front of Shinjuku Loft as well as the cover for her folk band's 7" –formed before she took up the C.Memi moniker.

      Delete
  3. Please tell me I am going insane and the link to the rip of the C.Memi + Neo Matisse album ネオマチス1982高野山 is just hiding somewhere! I fell in love with the Heavenly Peace 7 inch when I heard it on the Stalking Duppi blog (though sadly, I seem to have lost the rip of the No Chocolate / Dream's Dream in a hard drive crash and the blog I got it from bX-59cppw is not only sadly defunct, but all the links are gone - the same as Kiwi-Dodo blog, that has gone as well).

    Anyway, as I buy CDs, I have had this on my radar for a long time but I have never seen it surface (so incredibly well done - 150 yen! it is the kind of price that makes your heart leap and click on the buy link in a nano-second just in case someone else gets it!) - on Discogs, one person has it and three want it, which even for Discogs, is a low figure - showing this CD is obscure beyond belief).

    Anyway, I have now checked your other posts and can't find the links anywhere - so I take it I have completely missed the voodoovault boat or fingers crossed, you are taking a blog sabbatical and the links will be restored all in good time - so looking forward to hearing this... and if you happen to come across another 150 yen copy.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey there! i actually wasn't providing links on this newer launch of the vault, but advertising for things that i had available for share on soulseek, a p2p program. unfortunately my service provider has instituted bandwidth caps and i hit my monthly allowance in about a week when i run it (lots of people grabbin my stuff!), so i haven't been on for a couple months now, which is really depressing. but fear not, i will find a way to get it to you. and the reason there are so few stats on discogs is because there was no entry for it until i posted this, and someone who grabbed it from me took the time to make the entry on discogs! don't worry, if i ever see another copy i'll be snatching it up. but i also plan on selling my copy soon as well, though i imagine the price is going to be quite a lot steeper than 150! is there any other place to get in touch with you? any torrent trackers or anything? if not, i can probably try to do an upload for a direct link. do you want flac or mp3?

    ReplyDelete